Voting

Friday, June 12, 2009

Dilly, Dilly, Dally, Dee...

My dad use to sing us this silly song when we would clean the house.... It goes something like this:

When there is something to be done, it won't get done, til it gets done...
and the best way to do it, is on the run...
So don't dilly,dally, don't dilly, dally..
dilly, dilly, dally, dee (I am not even going to pretend to know how to spell that)

It would end on this horrific note, leaving all of us feeling like the song should not be over (the point being, I guess, is that work is never done (how depressing)).

So, today, I taught my kids the "Burnett" Family theme song.

When we bought this house, one of the reasons we loved it was because the entire back wall of the house is windows (over 45 feet of windows and a slider). I guess it didn't occur to me at the time that someone would need to clean all these windows, and that somebody would be me.

So, this afternoon, the kids and I washed the inside of all those windows, and I taught them the song. After I was done singing it, Jackson just looked at me like "what kind of song is that?!". I am sure that I must have looked at my dad the same way when the theme song was sung to me for the first time, and I am sure my dad looked at his dad the same way, etc., etc. (unless my dad made that song up just to torture us).

Anyways, my kids had a blast cleaning with me all afternoon (how long do you think that will last?!), and I got to pass along a little piece of my history to my kids (my dad will be so proud when he reads this).

By the way, I have no pictures, because I don't want the world to see what my kids wear when we stay home for the day. Happy Friday!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. OMG, I remember your dad singing that song when I would stay over there and everyone was cleaning. I remember that it bugged me too the way that it ended because it didnt sound right to me either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you clean your windows??? Hmmm....We have been in our house for 3 years and I have YET to clean the windows. I suppose it MIGHT be time to do that.\"/ I DEFINITELY NEED to learn that song!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a good mommy! Can your kids come clean my windows and sing??

    I loved bumping into you and krystal last week! Sorry to have crashed your party! We need to enjoy this weather and have a park day!!

    ReplyDelete